The Village Clerk is responsible for working with the Village Mayor and the Board of Trustees, as well as the issuance of various licenses and permits, recording various documents and vital statistics
Some of the responsibilities of our department include, but are not limited to the following:
- Attends Village Board of Trustees meetings, prepares agenda, order and minutes of the proceedings and maintains indexes and preserves all permanent Council and other Village records.
- Validates official documents; oversees posting of official notices, ordinances, and advertisements; records papers with the federal, State and County governments as needed; swears in municipal officials as necessary.
- Acts as the custodian of the official Village seal.
- Maintains records of births and deaths, and sends periodic reports to the State of New York Department of Health, Vital Records. Maintains a public information service and, in response to reasonable requests, furnishes information and material concerning the Village government.
- Accounts for all public monies received by him/her in such manner as the Treasurer may prescribe.
85 South Main Street
Castleton, NY 12033